Some hotels belong to the history of a town. The Pump House belonged to the reason the town existed at all.
Long before Llandrindod Wells acquired its railway station, ornamental lake, villas, great red-brick hotels and confident municipal buildings, people were coming to this exposed part of Radnorshire for water. They came because springs rising from the ground were believed to possess medicinal properties. Around one group of those springs stood Bach-y-Graig Farm. From that landscape emerged the Pump House, first as a place where water could be obtained, then as a lodging house, then a hotel, and eventually one of the largest and most ambitious spa establishments in Wales.
Its history is therefore not simply that of a vanished Victorian hotel. It reaches back into the eighteenth-century origins of Llandrindod as a watering place and runs through almost every major stage in the town’s development: the coming of the railway, the enclosure and development of the common, the creation of the lake, the rise of mass tourism, the growth of county government, two world wars, post-war teacher training, residential education and finally the creation of Powys.
The great hotel itself is gone. County Hall stands where it once dominated the landscape. Yet the Pump House is still one of the best ways of understanding how Llandrindod Wells was made.
Before there was Llandrindod Wells
The story begins with the springs.
Visitors were coming to the district by the late seventeenth century. Members of the Vaughan family of Herefordshire are recorded as having stayed for several weeks in 1696 to take the waters. At that point there was no town in any modern sense. There were farms, common land, rough roads and scattered places where mineral water emerged from the ground.
The Pump House springs lay on Bach-y-Graig Farm, part of the estate of Thomas Jones of Pencerrig. In the 1730s Mrs Jenkins, the tenant farmer’s wife, became associated with the rediscovery and commercial use of saline and sulphurous springs there. Later accounts said that she had sought a cure for a daughter suffering from a chronic complaint and began supplying the waters to visitors.
The details acquired the embellishments that often surround spa history, but the underlying development is clear. People came. Water was sold. Accommodation followed.
By the 1740s a recognisable Pump House had become a permanent part of the site. An eighteenth-century traveller described a stone house near the springs, while later records refer to repairs and continuing use. Thomas Jones, the Pencerrig artist, noted the repair of an oven at the Pump House in April 1789. Walter Davies referred to it again in 1802. An illustration published in the early nineteenth century shows an established group of buildings beside the wells.
That continuity matters. Llandrindod Hall, opened in 1749 as the district’s first great fashionable spa establishment, enjoyed periods of success and decline. The Pump House was less dramatic, but more persistent. It remained tied to the springs themselves.
The attraction was medicine as contemporaries understood it. In 1756 the German-born physician Diederick Wessel Linden published a substantial account of the Llandrindod waters and the illnesses they were supposed to treat. Modern medicine has long since moved beyond many of those claims, but it is easy to become condescending about people who sought relief at spas. Their illnesses were real. Rheumatism, digestive disease, diabetes, skin complaints, chronic pain and debility could dominate a life at a time when effective treatments were limited.
The waters offered something medicine often could not.
Hope.
A hotel grows around the wells

By the early nineteenth century the Pump House was developing the social functions of a resort as well as the therapeutic ones. A grand ball was advertised there in 1811. Visitors no longer came simply to drink or bathe. They expected company, meals, entertainment and respectable accommodation.
The early nineteenth century brought a more deliberate phase of development. W. H. Howse, writing from earlier local sources, placed the first reference to a new house in 1809 and thought it had probably been built a few years earlier, perhaps around 1805. When it was advertised to let in 1824 it was described as a modern brick, sash-windowed dwelling house, and the outgoing tenant was said to have made a considerable fortune from selling the waters. Eleven bedrooms were added in 1827. By 1830 the familiar division between first- and second-class visitors was already established.
John Cane was in occupation by 1839, not 1840 as later summaries sometimes state. He appears to have been the first proprietor to call the establishment a hotel and advertised that he intended to provide recreations previously unknown at Llandrindod. Cane understood something which became fundamental to the later spa economy: medicinal water alone would not sustain a resort. Visitors expected food, company, comfort and diversion as well as treatment.
A surviving hotel bill from September 1842 reveals something of the commercial world behind the genteel language. Guests were charged for board and bed, individual meals, servants, horses and taking the waters. Even rushlights and feed for horses appeared as extras. The Pump House had become a business in which almost every part of the visitor’s stay could be priced.
The 1841 census catches that business at an unusually useful moment. The address is simply given as Pump House. John Cane, aged about sixty, was recorded as an innkeeper. Around him lived an assistant and a resident staff of young men and women, among them Mary Macmillan, Eliza Cane, Mary Rogers, Mary Williams, a younger John Cane, Evan Hugh and William Davies. The 1841 census did not record relationships, so the younger Canes cannot automatically be described as his children, but the household is unmistakably that of an organised hospitality business rather than a farmhouse casually taking lodgers.
That matters because it lets us see the Pump House before the railway and before Victorian Llandrindod existed in any recognisable urban form. The hotel already required a resident workforce. Someone cooked, cleaned, carried, served, tended horses and kept the household moving while paying visitors experienced the place as rest and recreation. The social history of the Pump House begins here, with labour hidden behind hospitality.
By 1853 it could accommodate around forty-five people. There were pump rooms and grounds laid out for visitors, transport supplied by the hotel and medical advice available before beginning a course of the waters. Enlargement continued in 1840 and again in 1866, and the building was still partly thatched in the later 1860s, an almost rustic survival on the eve of Llandrindod’s rapid transformation.
The most memorable feature was the two-tier tariff, and it was older than later hotel folklore sometimes suggests.
In 1827 there had been a uniform weekly charge of two guineas. By 1830 first-class visitors still paid two guineas, while second-class visitors paid less and servants less again. First-class and second-class guests were accommodated under the same roof but at different rates, and the two parts became known as the House of Lords and the House of Commons.
It sounds like a joke, and undoubtedly became part of the hotel’s folklore, but it reveals something important about nineteenth-century tourism. Class was not expected to disappear when people went on holiday or sought treatment. It was built into railway carriages, dining rooms, boarding houses and hotels. At the Pump House, even health could be experienced at different prices.
At the same time, the system was commercially shrewd. The hotel did not confine itself to a tiny aristocratic clientele. It could serve the prosperous while also accommodating people of more modest means.
The water may have risen freely from the ground.
Comfort did not.
The railway and the making of the town
For generations the weakness of the Llandrindod springs was not their reputation but their remoteness.
The railway changed that.
The Central Wales line reached Llandrindod in 1865. Suddenly a place which had required an awkward journey by road could be reached from the industrial valleys, the English Midlands and the larger cities. At almost the same time, enclosure made systematic development of the common possible.
When the Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club visited in 1867, much of the future town was still open land. The Llanerch, Pump House and Rock House were the principal hotels, and the lines of proposed streets could apparently be seen marked across the turf.
Llandrindod was being planned before it had fully appeared.
The Pump House stood at the centre of that transformation. In 1868 E. Middleton Evans of Llwynbarried Hall inherited the former Jones estate and increased his holdings through the enclosure of Llandrindod Common. He commissioned the Hereford architect Thomas Nicholson to prepare development plans for the grounds. His agent, N. W. Swettenham, worked with the Pump House Hotel Company in the early 1870s on the creation of the lake.
The lake is now such a familiar part of Llandrindod that it can appear natural. It was not. It was part of a deliberate remaking of the landscape for recreation and resort life. The same town which sold visitors mineral water for health created another body of water for boating, promenading and display.
The Pump House benefited directly from this new world. A contemporary account from 1867 described it as the chief hotel, with the saline springs adjoining, recent extensions, fixed dining times and both a four-in-hand coach and omnibus available to visitors.
The railway did not merely bring more guests to an existing spa. It made possible an entirely different scale of town, and it changed the social composition of the resort. Clerks, commercial travellers, prosperous shopkeepers, professionals, invalids, widows, families and organised excursionists could now reach Llandrindod far more easily. The town which emerged was never simply an aristocratic watering place. It was a commercial resort built around layers of class, work and aspiration.
Elizabeth Duffield
The most important individual in the later history of the Pump House was not an owner, architect or celebrated visitor.
She was its manageress.
Elizabeth Maria Priscilla Duffield was baptised at Tregare in Monmouthshire in August 1852, the daughter of William and Mary Ann Duffield of Lower House. Her father was a farmer. Before coming to Llandrindod she built a career in hotel management, holding appointments at the Green Dragon in Hereford, the Royal Gatehouse at Tenby, the Mackworth in Swansea and the Langland Bay Hotel. She also assisted at a hotel in Barmouth kept by one of her sisters.
By about 1883 she had taken over the management of the Pump House.
She would remain there for approximately thirty-three years.
That length of service alone is remarkable. More important is what happened during it. Duffield arrived while the old hotel still stood, presided over the transition to the great new Victorian establishment, managed it through its most prosperous decades and remained in charge until her death in 1916.
The Brecon and Radnor Express, looking back on her career after her death, credited much of the hotel’s success and prosperity to her business ability and courteous management. The Pump House Hotel Company repeatedly recorded its appreciation of her services in its minute books.
Her younger sister Agar Duffield also worked closely with her at the hotel. Agar’s death in March 1914 affected Elizabeth deeply, and contemporary reports said that her health was never quite the same afterwards.
The sisters belonged to a generation of women whose commercial authority has too often been hidden behind the language of domestic service. Elizabeth Duffield was not merely supervising bedrooms and dining rooms. She was running one of the largest hospitality businesses in Wales, negotiating the expectations of directors, doctors, guests and a large resident workforce while maintaining the personal tone expected of a fashionable hotel.
Her career also helps correct a male-centred reading of Victorian enterprise. The Pump House had begun, in local memory at least, with Mrs Jenkins selling the waters in the eighteenth century. At its late Victorian and Edwardian height it was again a woman who gave the institution much of its continuity and character.
Demolition and rebirth, 1887–1888

By the 1880s the old Pump House could no longer match the scale of the resort growing around it.
The decision was taken to rebuild completely.
On 10 December 1887 the Weekly Mail reported that demolition of the old Pump House Hotel had begun. The newspaper looked back fondly on the House of Lords and House of Commons, which had accommodated what it called the classes and masses, but described an altogether more ambitious replacement. The new building was to contain more than eighty bedrooms, many with private sitting rooms, magnificent reception rooms, modern sanitation, extensive conveniences and luxuries, and a sulphur bath within the hotel itself. The field behind was to be enclosed and laid out for pleasure and recreation.
The new hotel, designed by Shepherd and Sons of Cardiff, opened in 1888.
It was an extraordinary leap in scale.
The old Pump House had evolved piecemeal from a farmhouse and lodging establishment. Its replacement was deliberately monumental. Historic photographs show a complex of tall gables, projecting bays, towers, chimneys and long ranges overlooking the grounds. It was architecture intended to announce that Llandrindod had arrived.
Yet the 1887 report also promised continuity. However modern the building, it was still to be run on what the newspaper called homely and economical lines. The owners were not trying to erase the old Pump House identity. They were modernising a reputation already more than a century old.
Further development followed. A new pump room and additions to the hotel were contracted in 1899, and another wing was added around 1900. By the opening years of the twentieth century the Pump House was advertising more than 150 rooms and, by 1906, claimed to accommodate about 200 people. Promotional material described it as the largest hotel in Wales and one of the most comfortable in Europe.
Those were advertising claims, but they reveal the scale of its ambition.
The grounds extended across a large estate. Visitors had access to croquet, tennis, boating, walks and golf. A nine-hole course opened on the common in 1893, and another course later developed close to the lake.
The Pump House was no longer simply somewhere to undergo treatment.
It was somewhere to live for a season.
Taking the waters
The therapeutic ritual remained central.
Visitors rose early. Doctors prescribed quantities of mineral water, sometimes six or seven glasses before breakfast. Earlier accounts recorded even larger amounts. Those unable to walk to the springs could have water delivered in stone jars to their rooms or lodgings.
The Pump House offered saline and sulphur waters, while the baths developed a formidable menu of treatments. By the early twentieth century visitors could encounter sulphur baths, vapour baths, needle or douche showers and cold bathing. Later generations would be offered electrical and heat treatments as spa medicine tried to keep pace with changing medical fashions.
The Pump Room followed its own daily rhythm. Water could be bought by the day, week or gallon. The season generally ran from spring into autumn, with July to September especially busy. Music accompanied the ritual. Bands and orchestras played while visitors drank prescribed quantities of water and then moved out into the grounds.
It is tempting to view all this as eccentric theatre. Some of it undoubtedly became theatre. Yet people came because they believed the treatments might help them.
Spa life blurred medicine and leisure in a way that now feels unfamiliar. A visitor could begin the day under medical instruction, spend the afternoon boating or playing golf, dine formally, listen to an orchestra and end the evening in a drawing room or billiard room.
Health had become a form of tourism.
The working hotel
Grand hotels are designed to make labour disappear.
The Pump House depended on a great deal of it.
The 1901 census reveals Elizabeth Duffield at the head of a substantial resident establishment. Around her were bookkeepers, housemaids, waitresses, stillroom and laundry maids, kitchen staff, porters, a coachman, a carver, a page and even a resident golf professional. The occupations read almost like the departments of a small institution. The Pump House was no longer a single household enlarged for visitors. It was a complex commercial organisation in which domestic service, catering, transport, bookkeeping, recreation and management had become specialised forms of work.
The 1911 census shows the same institution on an even larger scale. Duffield was recorded as hotel manager for a limited company. Beneath her was a hierarchy of housekeepers, assistant housekeepers, bookkeepers, waitresses, chambermaids, kitchen workers, laundry staff and male hotel employees. Some had travelled considerable distances to work there, including workers born in Germany and Switzerland. Others came from small Welsh and English communities which offered few comparable forms of paid employment.
The contrast is worth dwelling upon.
Outside, Llandrindod remained a small Welsh town surrounded by rural Radnorshire. Inside the Pump House was a mobile and surprisingly cosmopolitan workforce serving visitors drawn from Britain and beyond.
For many young women, hotel service offered wages and a measure of independence away from the family home, but it came with strict discipline. Staff lived inside the institution they served. Their time was organised around meals, rooms, bells, arrivals and departures. Privacy was limited and the distinction between workplace and home barely existed. The comfort experienced by guests depended upon another group of people working long hours to create it.
The contrast between guest and servant was not incidental to the hotel. It was built into its daily life. One group arrived to rest, take the waters and be waited upon. Another rose early, carried luggage, scrubbed rooms, prepared food, washed linen, cleaned boots, tended grounds and stood ready when bells rang. The apparent ease of the spa holiday was manufactured through labour.
Some stayed for years.
When Elizabeth Duffield died, the funeral report named Mrs Rogers with more than eighteen years’ service, Susan Parkins with nineteen years and Lizzie Dennis with seventeen. Barbara Beretta had been Duffield’s personal attendant. Alice Phillips, Miss Davies and many other hotel employees attended the funeral.
Those lengths of service complicate any simple image of hotel work as transient seasonal labour. For some, the Pump House became a career and a community.
The hotel and the town
Duffield’s importance extended well beyond the building she managed.
For more than twenty-one years she served as churchwarden of Llandrindod Old Parish Church and was remembered as one of the earliest women to hold such an office in England or Wales. She was instrumental in an enlargement scheme costing more than £600 and helped raise almost all of the money required.
She also served on the governing body and House Committee of Llandrindod Wells Hospital. Visitors at the Pump House were encouraged to support the institution, and she arranged concerts by Thomas’s Royal Ladies’ Choir to raise funds. During the First World War she became honorary treasurer of a comforts fund for convalescent soldiers and supported other wartime causes, including a Belgian relief collection.
This matters because it changes how we understand the great hotels. They were not sealed commercial worlds sitting apart from the town. Their managers, owners, staff and guests were woven into local churches, hospitals, charities, councils and businesses.
The Pump House was also part of Radnorshire’s political life.
When elected county councils were created in 1889, Radnorshire had to decide where its new authority would meet. Presteigne possessed the older administrative tradition, but Llandrindod represented the railway age and the changing geography of the county. By the narrow margin of twelve votes to eleven, councillors chose Llandrindod.
For years they generally met at the Pump House Hotel.
The symbolism is almost too perfect. A county authority created by Victorian reform conducted its business inside an institution created by Victorian tourism. Political power was following the railway and the new commercial geography of Radnorshire.
Only in 1909 did the county council acquire purpose-built offices in the High Street.
The Pump House had already helped establish Llandrindod as a place where the county gathered.
The death of Elizabeth Duffield
Elizabeth Duffield died at the Pump House on Sunday, 28 May 1916.
She had suffered a serious illness in March but recovered sufficiently to resume work. On the morning of her death she was taken suddenly ill at about a quarter past six and died within half an hour.
Her funeral on 1 June was not merely a private family event. It became a public statement about her place in Llandrindod.
The service at the Old Parish Church was fully choral. Local councillors, doctors, businessmen and representatives of the Pump House Hotel Company attended. The bearers were selected from employees of the hotel, Pump Room and baths. Floral tributes came from directors, visitors, individual employees, the kitchen staff, chambermaids, waitresses, stillroom maids, porters and outside staff. The Rock Park Spa and High Street Baths sent condolences, as did prominent figures from beyond the town.
Some tributes referred to Duffield as a friend. Others called her their dear or beloved mistress.
Funeral language must always be read with care, but alongside decades of staff service and the testimony of the company, it suggests a woman who commanded substantial loyalty as well as authority.
Probate valued her estate at £4,550 16s. 8d., administration passing to her brother Horace Duffield, a bank manager.
She had arrived in Llandrindod when the old Pump House was still standing.
She died having spent more than three decades at the centre of the establishment that replaced it.
Between the wars

The Pump House survived the First World War, but the world of the spa was changing. The old rhythms continued, though under increasing pressure from a society in which domestic service was becoming less attractive, the motor car was altering travel, and medical science was beginning to weaken some of the claims on which the spa economy had long depended.
The motor car altered travel. Medical science altered treatment. Domestic service became harder to recruit. Seaside resorts and new forms of holiday competed for visitors. Yet the Pump House was far from finished.
By the 1920s it remained a substantial high-status establishment. A surviving 1923 receipt records the hotel supplying six bottles of Hockheimer wine. Kelly’s Directory and contemporary publicity continued to present it as a major resort hotel. Motoring increasingly sat alongside the older railway culture, and by the 1930s Tom Norton’s garage adjoining the hotel was being advertised to motorists.
Then came the crisis of 1929.
On 24 August the Western Mail advertised the Pump House for auction the following month. The advertisement described it as the principal hotel in what it called the premier inland spa of Wales. It had about 200 rooms, its own grounds, a model farm of approximately fifty acres, electric lighting and mains drainage. The saline and sulphur springs, pump room and baths were integral to the sale. Its clientele, the advertisement claimed, came from across the British Isles and the United States.
The proposed sale did not lead to a simple transfer.
In November Llandrindod Wells Urban District Council agreed to open negotiations to buy the hotel, baths, pump room and grounds. The idea went no further. By 30 November newspapers reported that the Pump House had been sold privately and that the new proprietors intended to spend heavily on modernisation.
The financial circumstances behind the sale are revealed by what happened next.
In January 1930 the contents of the old establishment were sold under instructions from the Receiver for the Debenture Stock Holders. The disposal included furnishings from the Pump Room, smoke room, lounge, billiard room, drawing room, dining room, reception areas and kitchens, together with 120 bed and sitting rooms, the equipment of the medicinal baths, trade fixtures, glass, china, linen, plate, outside effects and the furnishings of Southfield House.
This was not simply an old owner handing over the keys to a new one.
One commercial era had ended.
The Honywood revival
The Pump House reopened in 1930 as part of the Honywood Hotels group, and this period deserves to be seen as much more than a final chapter before wartime closure. It was a deliberate commercial reinvention under one of the most unusual figures in British inter-war hospitality.
Lady Honywood was Constance Mary Honywood, née Pixell, wife of Sir Courtenay John Honywood, 9th Baronet of Evington. She belonged socially to the world of the landed gentry and baronetage, but after the First World War she did something which contemporaries considered striking enough to report internationally: she went into hotel management herself. In 1918 she took over the management of Batt’s Hotel in Dover Street, Piccadilly, and over the following decade built a substantial hotel business. By the 1920s and 1930s she was repeatedly identified in advertising as the managing director of The Honywood Hotels Ltd.
This was not a small local concern. At different times the Honywood portfolio included established hotels in London, Cheltenham, Shrewsbury, Cardiff, Malvern, Weymouth, the New Forest and Llandrindod Wells. The Raven at Shrewsbury, the Queen’s at Cheltenham, the Angel at Cardiff and the Pump House all retained their own names and local identities. The Honywood name sat above them as a guarantee of standards rather than as an attempt to make every hotel look and feel the same.
That approach suited the Pump House unusually well. Its value lay precisely in the fact that it could not be detached from Llandrindod’s springs, lake, landscape and long spa tradition. Honywood’s business model was modern in organisation but conservative in atmosphere. Historic hotels were to remain recognisable as themselves while being updated in the things inter-war guests increasingly expected: bathrooms, telephones, central heating, good food and attentive service.
The Shrewsbury Chronicle described the reopening that June as a major event. Sir William Arbuthnot Lane formally reopened the hotel and baths before a large crowd. The band of the Welsh Guards provided music, visitors toured the building and grounds, and the evening ended with dinner, dancing and fireworks. The occasion marked not simply a reopening after a sale, but the public launch of a new Pump House.
The new owners were not attempting to recreate 1888. They were trying to make the Pump House modern again, while preserving enough of the older spa identity to make the place recognisable to loyal visitors.
The baths were equipped for diathermy, ultra-violet ray and radiant heat treatment. Experienced male and female nurses were employed and a resident matron was available. Later publicity emphasised central heating, hot and cold running water and physical treatments alongside the traditional mineral waters. This was a revealing mixture of old and new. Saline and sulphur springs still anchored the hotel’s identity, but they now sat beside technologies presented as modern and scientific.
The language used to market the Honywood hotels is revealing. Lady Honywood repeatedly emphasised individual attention and the small additional acts of service which made guests feel personally looked after. In that sense the Pump House was being repositioned somewhere between the Victorian grand hotel and the emerging modern hotel chain. The organisation was larger and more professionalised, but the experience was still supposed to feel personal.
By the later 1930s the Pump House was being advertised nationally as one of the Honywood hotels, with adjoining Pump Room and baths, its own grounds, trout fishing and access to golf. This gave the old Llandrindod hotel a different kind of status. It was no longer simply a leading hotel in a mid-Wales spa. It had become part of a nationally marketed collection whose sister establishments included prestigious hotels in Mayfair, Cheltenham, Shrewsbury, Cardiff and the New Forest.
There was a stronger Welsh dimension to the group than might at first appear. The Angel Hotel in Cardiff also came under the Honywood organisation, meaning that Lady Honywood’s interest in the Pump House was not an isolated excursion into Wales but part of a broader commercial presence. Contemporary newspaper rhetoric even described her, at one point in the 1920s, as one of the country’s most extensive hoteliers. The wording was promotional, but the scale of the business was real.
The estate remained extensive. Tennis, bowls, putting, croquet and walks were offered. The hotel had its own farm and kitchen garden. Inter-war recollections describe eight gardeners working under a head gardener, a reminder that even the lawns, flower beds and apparently natural surroundings were products of organised labour. Doctors still prescribed the waters, sometimes six or seven glasses before breakfast, and mineral water was delivered around the town in stone jars.
Music remained part of the experience. A Pump House band played outside the baths, and an Austrian orchestra of eleven musicians performed there regularly. The hotel coach met trains, while the motor garage served a new generation of guests arriving by road. In that coexistence of orchestra, mineral water, nurses, cars, telephones and formal dining, the Honywood Pump House belonged to a Britain suspended between Victorian habit and modern leisure.
The Pump House had adapted once more. For a time, it worked.
September 1939
The 1939 Register preserves a remarkable final snapshot of the old hotel world.
It was compiled on 29 September, less than four weeks after Britain declared war on Germany. The Pump House was still functioning as a hotel.
More than a hundred residents, guests and employees appear across its pages. The staff included chambermaids, waitresses, a head waiter, cooks, vegetable and kitchen staff, scullery and hotel porters, a page boy, clerical workers, a bookkeeper-receptionist and a garage attendant. Frederick Turner was recorded as hotel manager. The occupational variety is striking because it shows the persistence of the great residential hotel even after the inter-war social order had begun to fray.
The guests included retired professionals, company directors, people of private means, a solicitor, a surgeon and others who still belonged to the social world of the large residential hotel. Some would have regarded the Pump House as a holiday destination, others as a place of treatment, and others simply as a comfortable temporary home. The same building contained several social worlds at once.
That document gives the coming of war an unusual immediacy.
On 29 September people were still making beds, serving meals, handling luggage, keeping accounts and receiving guests. The garage attendant represents how far the institution had travelled from the days of the hotel coach and four-in-hand.
Within the wartime period that followed, the Pump House was taken into military use. It served as a military hospital and was also used for officer-cadet training. In October 1942 an instructor attached to an Officer Cadet Training Unit was killed during a training exercise connected with the Pump House.
The building created for seasonal leisure had become useful to the wartime state for exactly the same practical reasons that later made so many hotels adaptable: bedrooms, kitchens, baths, large communal rooms and the ability to accommodate many people under one roof.
The spa age did not end in a single moment.
But it never recovered its old momentum after the war.
From hotel to college
The Pump House found another purpose almost immediately.
Between 1947 and 1950 it became Coleg Llandrindod, one of the emergency teacher-training colleges created to address the severe post-war shortage of teachers.
Powys Archives preserves an unusually human record of this short-lived institution through the papers of Cecilia Williams, who trained there. Photographs show college plays, a production of Twelfth Night, carnival groups by the lake and the final intake of 1950. A college magazine for 1949–50 also survives.
The change in purpose was profound.
Rooms once occupied by spa guests became part of a residential training community. Young adults who had lived through wartime Britain arrived to prepare for careers in the classrooms of the new welfare state. The architecture had not been designed for them, but they made it their own.
Institutional history can become sterile when reduced to dates and administrative changes.
At ground level it consisted of breakfasts, lectures, rehearsals, friendships, examinations, letters home and the uncertainty of beginning a profession.
The old hotel had become a college.
A school and a home
In 1950 another community arrived.
The former Pump House and Ye Wells became part of the Royal Cambrian and Llandrindod Wells Residential School for the Deaf. The institution opened in October 1950 and brought together children from across Wales.
For them the Pump House was not an interesting relic of spa history.
It was part of home.
Children slept there, ate there, studied there and built friendships there. The same broad corridors and large rooms which had once supported seasonal tourism were absorbed into the routines of residential education.
The surviving Cecilia Williams papers again provide a human link. Having trained at the emergency college in the Pump House, she later taught at the residential school. Photographs survive of pupils, staff and teachers in the 1950s.
As with Ye Wells, this period should not be sentimentalised. Mid-twentieth-century deaf education was shaped largely by hearing authorities and by assumptions about speech, lip-reading and institutional care which deaf people themselves have subsequently challenged. The children who lived at Llandrindod were individuals, not simply beneficiaries of an institution.
The school remained until the early 1970s.
Another community then left the building.
Local government comes back

In 1974 Powys County Council acquired the former Pump House Hotel for use as County Headquarters.
There was an extraordinary historical circularity to the decision.
Radnorshire County Council had met at the Pump House after its creation in 1889. Eighty-five years later, the successor authority for Montgomeryshire, Radnorshire and Brecknockshire came to occupy the same place.
The building which had helped make Llandrindod a practical administrative centre in the Victorian period now helped confirm it as the headquarters of the new county of Powys.
Bedrooms became offices. Public rooms became administrative spaces. The social hierarchy of manager, servant and guest gave way to councillors, officers and members of the public.
The Pump House had spent two centuries adapting itself to new purposes.
Eventually the building could adapt no further.
By the late 1980s it was considered structurally unsound and was demolished. The replacement County Hall opened in 1991.
The Bath House and Pump House were also lost during redevelopment. The principal surviving historic structure is the former Boiler House, an unexpectedly utilitarian remnant of what had once been an enormous hotel complex. The stained-glass canopy from the front of the hotel was moved to Llandrindod railway station, while the sulphur springs are remembered in the grounds near County Hall. The capped wells remain, although the waters themselves are no longer accessible.
There is something appropriate about the survival of the Boiler House.
The grand public architecture disappeared. One of the buildings that actually made the machinery of the place work remained.
What the Pump House tells us
The temptation with lost hotels is to remember grandeur.
The Pump House deserves more than that.
Its history begins before Llandrindod Wells existed as a recognisable town. Mrs Jenkins and the springs belong to a rural eighteenth-century landscape in which visitors came with difficulty and lodged where they could. John Cane’s nineteenth-century establishment belonged to the first organised spa economy. The railway, enclosure and Middleton Evans’s development of the estate belonged to the creation of the Victorian resort. Elizabeth Duffield’s long management career coincided with its maturity. The great rebuilding of 1888 announced confidence, while the 1929 receivership and Honywood revival reveal the effort required to keep that world commercially viable between the wars.
The census returns and 1939 Register expose the institution beneath the architecture. The 1841 household under John Cane already required an assistant and a substantial resident staff. By 1901 and 1911, under Elizabeth Duffield, the occupations had multiplied into a specialised hotel workforce. By 1939 coachmen had given way to garage attendants, but chambermaids, cooks, waiters, bookkeepers, porters and gardeners still turned the promise of comfort into daily reality. Many were young. Some had travelled across Britain and Europe for work. Some remained for decades.
The Pump House also belonged to the civic life of the town. County councillors met there. Elizabeth Duffield helped enlarge a church and support a hospital. Visitors contributed to charities. The hotel’s rooms accommodated politics, medicine, leisure and work at the same time.
Then the building crossed into entirely different worlds.
Soldiers replaced spa guests. Teacher trainees replaced soldiers. Deaf children made a home in rooms designed for paying visitors. Local government eventually took possession of the site.
Each generation inherited the same place and asked a different question of it.
That is why the Pump House matters more than its disappearance might suggest.
The Gwalia tells us about the confidence of the mature Victorian resort and the family who made one hotel into an institution. Ye Wells tells us about a great Edwardian building that survived by becoming many different things. The Pump House reaches further back than either. Its story begins with the springs themselves.
Llandrindod did not build the Pump House because it had become a spa town.
The town grew because places like the Pump House had already made the wells worth travelling to.
The settlement grew towards it, then around it, and finally over it.
Today County Hall occupies the landscape where Mrs Jenkins once sold mineral water, where Elizabeth Duffield ran one of the great hotels of Wales, where visitors queued for sulphur and saline waters, where servants carried trays and made beds, where soldiers trained, where teachers studied and where deaf children lived.
The hotel is gone.
The history is not.
Explore more Llandrindod Wells history
Continue with the history of the Gwalia Hotel, Ye Wells and its many lives, or browse the Llandrindod Wells History guide.
Sources and Further Reading
Brecon and Radnor Express, 1 June 1916, obituary and career account of Elizabeth Maria Priscilla Duffield.
Brecon and Radnor Express, 8 June 1916, report of the funeral of Elizabeth M. P. Duffield.
Weekly Mail, 10 December 1887, report on the demolition of the old Pump House Hotel and plans for its replacement.
Western Mail, 24 August 1929, advertisement for the sale of the Pump House Hotel, pump room, mineral springs and associated estate.
Wellington Journal, 16 November 1929, report of Llandrindod Wells Urban District Council’s proposal to negotiate for the Pump House complex.
Daily News and Western Mail, 30 November 1929, reports of the private sale of the Pump House Hotel.
Western Mail, 28 December 1929, sale notice for the hotel contents under the Receiver for the Debenture Stock Holders.
Shrewsbury Chronicle, 6 June 1930, report of the reopening of the Pump House under Honywood Hotels.
Contemporary Honywood Hotels advertising and company material, 1920s–1930s, including references to Lady Constance Honywood as Managing Director and to the Pump House as part of The Honywood Hotels Ltd.
Census of England and Wales, 1841, Pump House, Llandrindod, HO107/1454/11; and census returns for 1901 and 1911, Pump House Hotel, Llandrindod Wells.
1939 Register, Pump House Hotel, Llandrindod Wells.
National Probate Calendar, 1916, Elizabeth Maria Priscilla Duffield.
Tregare parish register, baptism of Elizabeth Maria Priscilla Duffield, 1852.
Bruce Osborne, Llandrindod Wells, New Millennium Spa Heritage Series, especially the chapter on the Pump House Estate.
W. H. Howse, Old-Time Llandrindod, Radnorshire Society, for the nineteenth-century development of the Pump House, the tariffs and John Cane’s occupation by 1839.
C. W. Newman, “The Pump House Hotel, Llandrindod Wells”, Transactions of the Radnorshire Society, vol. 52, 1982.
J. Clark, The South Wales Itinerary, 1853.
Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, Transactions, 1867, account of Llandrindod and the Pump House.
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales, records and sale particulars relating to the Pump House Hotel and estate.
Powys Archives, Cecilia Williams papers and records relating to Coleg Llandrindod and the residential school for deaf children.
